26-year-old Joshua Witt was supposed to be having a normal night on August 16 when he went to visit a nearby Steak ‘n Shake. An average trip for a shake suddenly turned violent when a stranger approached Witt and asked him if he had an affection for the Third Reich.


“Are you one of them neo-Nazis?” said a black man in his mid 20s, about 5’10”, wearing a green shirt and blue pants, according to Witt. He hardly had a chance to respond when the man came at Witt with a small knife and tried to stab him.

Witt, reacting quickly, held his hand up to protect himself and was stabbed. The man then ran toward Bear Creek bike path and disappeared. After police arrived, their initial theory was that the attacker could have been one of the many homeless that reside on the nearby bike path.

Not long after the attack, Witt got on Facebook and shared images of his slashed hand, along with an account of the incident: “Sooooooo apparently I look like a neo-nazi and got stabbed for it … luckily I put my hands up to stop it so he only stabbed my hand …. Please keep in mind there was no conversation between me and this dude I was literally just getting out of my car.”


The post went viral. Naturally, right-leaning blogs and websites went nuts over the revelation that white supremacists weren’t the perpetrators of violence this time. An attempt to change the narrative is one that these bloggers wouldn’t pass up.

The police began their investigation like so many other investigations have begun: by reviewing the surveillance. Upon reviewing the video, investigators were unable to find anyone running away from the parking lot. No matter what angle they viewed, no matter how long they scanned, there was no one to be found.

It didn’t take long for police to get a little suspicious. Not only were they unable to find a suspect fleeing the parking lot like Witt said, but they were unable to find any witnesses that could substantiate the incident.

So, instead of continuing to review the parking lot video, police decided to check out a nearby sporting goods store. What they found was Witt purchasing a small knife.



On August 24, police confronted Witt with the evidence and questioned his story. Right then and there, Witt confessed to making up the attack. Instead, he had accidently cut himself while in his car parked in front of the store.

No black man in his mid 20s, no antifa hooligans, no race-baiting libtard, just a man with a bad cut and a Facebook post that went a little out of control.

Witt was charged with filing a false report and faces up to a year in jail and a $2,600 fine.