Social media can be a great way to stay in touch with friends and family, but there is also a dark side. Many relationships have come to a bitter end over social media posts and lifelong friendships have been dissolved with just a click of a button. While these websites can be straining on people’s personal lives, others have met their end because of social media. Today we’ll look at five cases where social media has led to murder.

The Fatal Twitter War


Kwame Dancy and Jameg Blake had been friends since childhood until a beef that started on Twitter turned fatal. On December 1, 2010, Blake confronted Dancy about the Twitter messages. Blake shot Dancy in the neck and left him for dead. Later he posted “R.I.P. Kwame” to his account. Police placed Blake under arrest two days later for the fatal shooting. It was the first trial that would allow Twitter conversations to be used as evidence. Blake was sentenced to serve 21 years for the murder.

Myspace Murder


When 15-year-old Hughstan Schlicker‘s father noticed the teen was spending way too much time on the internet, he did what any parent would, and decided to restrict his usage. This decision did not go over well with Schlicker and the teen initially planned to kill himself with his father’s 12-gauge shotgun. When Schlicker’s father returned home early from work that day, rather than turning the gun on himself as he had intended, Schlicker instead shot his father in the back of the head.

After phoning a friend to explain what he had done, Schlicker’s friend convinced him to turn himself into the police. He received 20 years in prison for the murder of his father.

Bizarre Love Triangle


When Sarah Ludemann learned that her boyfriend Josh Camacho had left her for another girl named Rachel Wade, she was crushed. For days Rachel had been sending her texts, boasting that Josh was her’s now and Sarah would never have a chance to work things out with him. That wasn’t the case though. While Josh was seeing Rachel he was secretly talking to Sarah behind her back. When Rachel discovered that he was trying to get back with Sarah things began to get heated between the two teenagers.

What seemed to be typical high school dating drama quickly escalated into a violent confrontation. Sarah stabbed her arch nemesis Rachel Wade to death when the two girls agreed to a face-to-face meeting to settle the score. Sarah seemingly won that battle, but it was a short-lived victory. Her reward for the fierce battle was 20 years to life in prison.

The Facebook Stalker


Christopher Dannevig already had a violent track record by the time he began communicating with Nona Belomesoff. Using the name Jason Green, Dannevig carefully crafted a Facebook profile in order to match the interests of Belomesoff’s. It was through these shared interests that Dannevig was able to convince the 18-year-old that he was working as a team leader for a wildlife rescue agency in Australia and wanted Nona to join his team.

Nona agreed to meet Dannevig and accompany him on several bogus training sessions. During these sessions Dannevig blindfolded and tied up Belomesoff, assuring the teenager that they were simply undergoing self-defense drills. It was on their third meeting that Dannevig told Belomesoff that she would have to attend an overnight training session. Taking Belomesoff to Smiths Creek Reserve, he pushed the girl off of some rocks, which caused her to hit her head. Dannevig then proceeded to hold Belomesoff’s head under the water until he presumed she was dead. He was sentenced to 21 years for her murder.

Snitches Get Stitches


Police arrested Calvin Lawson in a homeless shelter after he admitted to strangling Caroline Wimmer to death with a hair dryer cord. Police say the trouble began over a Myspace post. Wimmer and another friend had found out that Lawson had cheated on his girlfriend and wanted to make her aware of her partner’s infidelities. Lawson went into a rage when he found out about the women “snitching” on him so he went to Wimmer’s apartment where the fatal confrontation occurred. Lawson was later sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.