On the evening of November 13, 1992, three teenage girls – Miriam García Iborra, Antonia “Toñi” Gómez Rodríguez and Desirée Hernández Folch – decided to attend a high school party hosted just outside of Velencia, Spain. According to reports, the three girls first stopped at another friend’s home, but she decided to stay home that night. The girls then set out to find a ride to the “Coolor” club where the party was being hosted that evening.


Miriam García Iborra, Antonia “Toñi” Gómez Rodríguez and Desirée Hernández Folch

Miriam asked her father if he would take all of the girls to the club that night, but he was sick in bed with the flu. The girls decided that they would hitchhike instead, since it was a common practice in the small town.

The girls were able to hitch a ride with a couple who took them to a gas station in Picassent, near where the club was located. While at the gas station the couple witnessed the girls get into another car, but they claimed it was dark and difficult to make out the second vehicle the girls were seen entering. That was the last time the girls were seen alive.

The girls were discovered on January 27, 1993, when two beekeepers uncovered the bodies in an inhabitable wasteland known as “La Romana.” It was clear that the girls had been beaten, tortured and raped before being dumped in their clandestine graves. For the country of Spain, the case was, and still remains, the most gruesome murders they’ve ever seen.

According to the official report, police uncovered near the grave a social security letter addressed Enrique Angles Martins. Following that lead, officials reported to the home of the Angles’ in order to ask some questions. Some of the family members in the home were taken in for questioning, while Antonio Angles Martins — the man suspected to have been one of the men to pick up the girls on the night of the party — was able to jump out of his fourth floor window to the roof of a neighboring building and flee the police.


Antonio Angles remains one of Interpol’s most wanted, though many presume that he is dead.

From there it’s alleged that he hid in and around the city of Valencia, until police finally caught up with him in the municipality of Villamarchante. Again, Angles was able to evade capture and turned up several days later in Minglanilla, Cuenca. He was last spotted in Lisbon, Portugal in March of 1993. There are two theories on what may have happened to him.

The first theory says that he boarded as a stowaway on a boat. He was discovered near the coast of Ireland and was forced to jump overboard in order to evade capture. He was either able to swim to safety or (more than likely) froze to death in the frigid waters.

The second theory is that Angles simply boarded a boat for his native Brazil using his passport, never to return to Spain again. He remains on Interpol’s most wanted list to this day.


Miguel Ricart was taken in for questioning and later charged with the brutal slaying of the three teenagers.

Angles’ alleged accomplice, Miguel Ricart, wasn’t quite as difficult to apprehend. The official report states that Ricart told investigators that he, Angles, and another unknown suspect had picked up the girls on the night of November 13. As they drove past the club they were supposed to drop the girls off at the girls began to scream. Angles turned around and hit the girls in the mouth with the butt of his gun, knocking out some of their teeth in the process.

The group arrived at a crumbling house in the isolated and uninhabited area of La Romana. The girls were taken into the home, which was sometimes used as a hideout for career criminal Antonio Angles. They proceeded to tie up the girls and rape two of them vaginally and anally, including with various objects. The men then left and went to a nearby town in order to get some food. They returned two hours later and proceeded to rape and torture the third girl.

The hideout of Angles' the three girls were taken. The lack of blood in the numerous photos taken from the alleged scene of the murder has been pointed out by numerous people interested in the case and is just one of many interesting inconsistencies in the investigation.

The hideout of Angles’ the three girls were taken. The lack of blood in the various photos taken from the alleged scene of the murders has been pointed out by numerous people interested in the case and is just one of many interesting inconsistencies in the investigation.

They continued to torture all three girls until they fell asleep, ignoring their screams of agony. When they awoke to hear the girls screaming and crying the following day, the men forced the girls to walk to a pit they had dug, taking the opportunity to beat and torture them some more before shooting them and throwing the girls into the makeshift grave. Angles and Ricart then spent the rest of the day cleaning the car and picking up the shell casings.

Two autopsies were conducted on the girls, both containing discrepancies within the details, as well as official reports directly contradicting witness statements from the evening of the girls’ disappearance. DNA reports stated that pubic hairs from seven different individuals had been collected from the bodies, none of which belonged to the girls themselves nor the alleged perpetrators. It wasn’t until the father of one of the girls, Fernando Garcia, pointed out these inconsistencies, too numerous to list, and the possible connection to high-ranking officials within the Spanish government and local law enforcement that the case began to receive national attention.

Like the Mark Dutroux case in Belgium, many theories have come out in the case over the years, including satanic involvement and the possibility that the girls were murdered in order to make a snuff film, possibly by an international ring of wealthy investors. The only thing that has been proven is that police displayed an alarming amount of ineptitude in investigating this case in their need to wrap it up as quickly as possible in order for the Spanish people to put the horrific murders behind them.