In December 2000, two brothers arrived in the city of Wichita, Kansas. They came not to take in the sights, but to set it on fire. Their names were Reginald, 23, and Jonathan Carr, 20, and they went on a killing spree so heinous that it became known as the Wichita Horror.

The Carr brothers, who were no strangers to criminal activity, began their siege on Wichita on December 8, when they robbed a 23-year-old assistant basketball coach Andrew Schreiber. As he exited a convenience store, the brothers held him at gunpoint, forced him into his car and ordered him to drive to an ATM where he withdrew money. While the brothers didn’t harm Schreiber, they shot out the tires to his car and left him alone in a field.

Three days later on December 11, they attacked and chased Ann Walenta, a 55-year-old cellist, and librarian. As she tried to escape them in her car, they shot and mortally wounded her. While under hospital care, she was able to give police an accurate description of the brothers.

After three days in critical care, Walenta died.

That same day, December 14, is when the Carr brothers took their horror show to the next level when they entered a randomly selected home.

Five people, Brad Heyka, Heather Muller, Aaron Sander, Jason Befort, and Holly Glover were spending the night in said house. Hekya was a director of finance with a local financial services company, Muller was a local preschool teacher, Sander was studying to become a priest, Befort was a local high school teacher, and Holly a teacher.

Picture 28

With the intent to rob the home, the Carr brothers rummaged around the residence for valuables. Upon finding Sander, they woke him up at gunpoint and dragged him to Hekya’s bedroom. One by one, the brothers entered the rooms of the sleeping youths and gathered their hostages.

They ordered the five to strip naked and proceeded to beat the men with golf clubs as they took turns repeatedly raping the women. They also forced the men to perform sexual acts on the women and each other.

As the night continued, one of the Carr brothers would take each captor out one by one to various ATM machines while the other kept watch on the remaining four. While continuing to search the house, one brother found a diamond ring hidden inside of a coffee can.

“That’s for you,” Befort reportedly said to Holly. “I was going to propose on Christmas Eve.”

After each of the five had their bank accounts drained, the Carr brothers forced them into Sander’s car, a Honda Accord. The men, still naked, were forced into the trunk. The women were allowed to wear sweaters while the rode in the back seat.

The captives were driven to a snow-covered soccer field and ordered out of the car. They were told to kneel down in a row. And, one-by-one, the Carr brothers shot each of them in the back of the head, execution style. The brothers then drove the car over the five bodies and left.

Holly G., however, survived. A plastic barrette in her hair deflected the bullet. She heard the brothers leave and called out to her friends. Only Befort groaned, the rest were silent. Stark naked, Holly ran for over a mile in the snow until she reached a house.

Before she could be treated, Holly told her saviors what happened to her and her friends. She gave a detailed description of the Carr brothers, and the residents called the police.

The next day, the police captured the brothers. Thanks in part to Holly’s testimony, the Carr brothers were convicted of almost all of the 113 counts against them that included kidnapping, robbery, rape, four counts of capital murder, and one count of first degree murder.


The Carr brothers were sentenced to death. Those sentences were eventually appealed and overturned.

During the trial, Holly and Andrew Schreiber became friendly and began dating one another. They married in 2004. Holly even became Teacher of the Year.