The worlds of Conrad Roy and Michelle Carter would collide in Florida where both of their families had been on vacation. As it would turn out, Carter had lived only an hour away from Roy, but geographic location wouldn’t be the only thing the two shared. Both Roy and Carter would learn that they both had their demons, and it would ultimately be those demons that drove them together.

The pair had only met up one other time after meeting in Florida, but they were able to stay close via text messages. Through text, the pair would share their deepest secrets and pen long diatribes on their love for one another. Even on the day Conrad Roy made the decision to take his own life, he was texting with Michelle Carter until he took his final breath.


Roy’s mother says she had only met Carter twice. The first time was at a baseball game in 2013, the second was at her son’s wake.

Roy was described as a happy child who evolved into an anxious teenager. His parent’s divorce was hard on him and in a moment of desperation, he attempted to take his own life at just 17-years-old after overdosing on acetaminophen tablets. Luckily, Roy had confided in a friend and his mother was able to rush him to the hospital after learning what her son had done.

Carter was similarly troubled. Though she was well-liked at her school and described as an excellent student, she suffered silently from an eating disorder.

Both Carter and Roy were prescribed to anti-depressants and leaned to one another when their inner demons came back with a vengeance.


Roy would continue to have thoughts of suicide after his first attempt had failed. He would often turn to Carter for comfort. Initially when the threats started, Carter would discourage Roy from following through with the act. But something had changed within the two weeks leading up to Roy’s death, and instead of discouraging the 18-year-old from taking his own life, Carter began encouraging him to.

On the day of Roy’s death, in July of 2014, Roy’s mother says he took his sisters out for ice cream, then to the beach. At 6 pm, Roy told his mother that he would not be home for dinner and that he was headed to a friend’s home. He pulled his truck into an abandoned Kmart parking lot, hooked his truck exhaust to a generator and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Throughout that day it was later found that Roy had been texting with Carter. In one message Roy began speaking about his parents and how they would feel about Roy’s plan to commit suicide. Carter wrote:

“I think your parents know you’re in a really bad place. Im not saying they want you to do it, but I honestly feel like they can accept it. They know there’s nothing they can do, they’ve tried helping, everyone’s tried. But there’s a point that comes where there isn’t anything anyone can do to save you, not even yourself, and you’ve hit that point and I think your parents know you’ve hit that point. You said you’re mom saw a suicide thing on your computer and she didn’t say anything. I think she knows it’s on your mind and she’s prepared for it”

Carter also assured Roy that she would take care of his family and continued to pressure Roy to “follow through with it.”

That night, as Roy sat in the quiet parking lot patiently waiting to die he continued to text with Carter. At one point, Roy realized that his plan had been working and decided to get out of the truck. Carter told him to get back in and he died minutes later.

Carter later told a friend, “Sam his death is my fault, like honestly I could have stopped him. I was on the phone with him and he got out of the car because it was working and he got scared.” The court also determined that Roy’s death could have been prevented if Carter hadn’t encouraged him to go through with it.


Carter, who had waived her right to a jury trial, was found to be guilty of involuntary manslaughter. During the trial, it was found that Carter had multiple opportunities to help save Roy, including not only attempting to talk him out of going through with the act but also attempting to contact authorities. According to the prosecutor, Carter chose to do none of those things because she wanted the sympathy and the attention of being a grieving girlfriend.

Currently, Carter is free on bail while she awaits her sentence on August 3, 2017. Tried as a juvenile, Carter can face up to 20 years in prison.